Sunday, July 26, 2015

A Simple Nourishing Meal

I need to buy groceries but it is not time to go yet (pay day cha ching). Time to use what on hand. Tonight that meant a nice salad and a fry up dish I just called "Stuff". It really scares the children when I tell them we are having Stuff for supper. 

Stuff
A few random potatoes
1 pound ground beef
Some random baby carrots that needed to be used
Cajun seasoning
salt
pepper
onion powder
Coconut oil
A wedge of this GORGEOUS organic cabbage my sister in law grew up the hill at her place

I just sauteed the potatoes and carrots in copious amounts of coconut oil with some of the seasonings. I used  a lot of onion powder. Normally I would use fresh onions but I am out today. I am also out of my homemade lard which normally would be my go to fat for sauteed potatoes. I just need to buy some canning jars before I render down the insane amount of organic pig fat in the freezer. 

 When these were done I removed them (leaving the extra oil behind) and placed them in a bowl. 

Next I sauteed the beef with seasonings and a dash of Worchestershire Sauce. This was then removed from the bowl leaving the extra oil behind. 

Now I put the cut up cabbage into the pan, This was also cooked up with seasonings and added to the bowl when finished.

Everything was mixed up and served. 

 This meal was nothing special to look at. In fact it was pretty ugly and I didn't bother to take a picture. This is nourishing, home cooked food. It is not gourmet eye candy. My husband enjoyed it. My son gobbled up 2 bowls and said I could make it instead of cake on his birthday. I guess it was good. We often make a similar dish called Sausage O'hoolihan using smoked sausage in place of ground beef. You could customize this to your own taste and to use what you have on hand. It could be served on rice if you did not have potatoes. Any meat or vegetable combo you like would work well. It's all about using what you have. 


No comments:

Post a Comment